Saturday, July 27, 2013

Single and EP releases from: The Above, Jasko, The Very Most and The Space Agency.


Last August I featured The Above's single "My Love" on the blog and raved about it with great enthusiasm, well, now they are back a year later with another superb 7" single, (there was a release in February too which I missed, more on that in a little bit) also available as a download, well, it is 2013, however, this Brooklyn quartet sound as though they just dropped straight out of the sixties with their jangly guitars and harmonies, this is yet another superb offering from the band.


"The Girl With The Peacock Tattoo" is my favourite track on this single, it oozes the feeling of the sixties and captures the essence of al the great bands of that era, the A side is also brilliant too!  This will certainly be in my top singles of the year without any shadow of a doubt!


Stream and download this pop nugget here: The Above Bandcamp


To make amends for my missing out on the bands earlier release this year, I am going to feature it along with their latest release because it would be criminal to miss out on this little gem like I did.
This 3 track release is once again crammed with all the jangly pop sensibilities you can muster up in just over 9 minutes, the three tracks here will have you stomping away in your Chelsea boots for definate.
Also available on 7" vinyl as per the bands other first class offerings.


And if this wasn't enough, there is a new album in the wings for release later this year and I am really looking forward to that one.

Sharp dressers with a sharp sound!

Stream and download the "Georgia Peach" single here:The Above Bandcamp

All of the singles and the album can be purchased here: www.theabovebrooklyn.com/shop.html

Contact, befriend, follow, like and love The Above here: Facebook

For news, full biography, photos, video etc visit the bands official website here: The Above

.................................................................................................................................................................


I had a nice e mail from Jasko asking me if I had any interest in featuring their latest offering, possibly their debut offering, which I am more than happy to do.  The 6 tracks are all very well constructed, lyrically interesting and whats more they get your feet tapping with their uptempo power pop.
I can't tell you a lot about the band other than they hail from New York and consist of Todd Jasko, Mary Noecker, Justin Hofmann and Bryan Reeder and that they make some great music and what is more they are offering it for a name your price fee, which can be FREE, or you can help towards the band putting out more releases by making a payment of your choice.


Some of the quotes from the bands Bandcamp page with one addition:

"I can't understand your lyrics, Todd." - My dad 

"The fourth song is okay." - My brother 

"This is better than your band. That stuff is too heavy." - My mom 

"Dude, I want to hear some synths!" - Pete L. 

"You write music? Is this you?" - Jack T. 

"I like 80's music. Are any of your songs more like that?" - Jill B. 

"How do I put this on my stereo system? Is this the I-toons?" - My aunt

"Keep on keeping on, this is great!" Ice Cream Man Power Pop and More.

Stream and download the Extended Play/Mini Album here: Bandcamp

I am not sure if the band have a facebook page or official website, but I will update any information on that as soon as I find it.

...................................................................................................................................................................


The Very Most are an Indie Pop band from Boise, Idaho, influenced by Camera Obscura, The Beach Boys and the poppier side of Built To Spill and they have just released another slice of pop for your listening pleasure with the four track EP "Just a Pup."

The band is made up of an ever changing line up with the one main stay being Jeremy Jensen and they have been releasing some great music since 2004. This latest release is absolutely stunning and was certainly made for the summer, tracks like "We Don't have Any Cuts To Make" just float around head with an almost dream like quality, this is pure pop.


The EP also contains a cover of the Tom Jones song "It's Not Unusual" featuring Liz Hunt from The School on vocals, a song that I have never been that enthused by in the past, not being a fan, but I am certainly enthused by it now, the layering of the music once again make the song float around.


I first became aware of The Very Most when they realeased a track called "Scotland" which starts with the line; "All the best bands come from Scotland............" which has a very BMX Bandits feel about it, well, some of the best bands don't and "The Very Most" are one of them.

Stream and download "Just a Pup" here and be sure to check out the extensive and colourful back catologue of the band: Bandcamp

Contact, befriend, follow, like and love The Very Most here: Facebook

...................................................................................................................................................................


For those of you who love some psychedelic instrumental music, then you won't go far wrong with The Space Agency, in fact you won't go wrong at all.  Hailing from my own hometown of Brighton in East Sussex this band produce some fantastic music and are just about to release a limited edition sing on the brilliant "Market Square Records" label, called "Bombay Potatoes" which will be released as a limited 300 copies 7" vinyl pressing, so if like me you love your vinyl and your psychedelia, then act quick, the release date is the 26th of August.



Order the single here: Market Square Records

Contact, befriend, follow, like and love The Space Agency here: Facebook

The band will be having a release party at The Horse and Groom in Brighton on the 31st of August where you will also be able to buy the single if you are lucky enough to be in the vacinity.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Over and out.  Keep the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment